5.02.2009

Narcissism

I feel like I spend a lot of time explaining/justifying things about me to other people. I come from a relatively unique background and people question my habits and occasional knowledge gaps. Sometimes I offer up the information on my own, but usually I'm reacting to people who act like I'm stupid. I talk so much about myself because I feel defensive.

This becomes especially noticeable when I'm out at a karaoke bar.

"How do you not know (insert song from the 80s and early 90s)?!"

People don't realize how accusatory this sounds, but when I hear it ad nauseum, it actually starts to irk me.

I'm one of the few people born in the 80s who doesn't know much about it. I learn more and more over time, but when I was actually living in the 80s, my American pop culture exposure was practically nil.

Why?

My dad is a world music DJ/VJ. He also makes avant-garde films.

He uploaded one of his video compilations to YouTube, so I figured I'd post it here. This is what I grew up on instead of Madonna or Billy Idol:

No comments: