7.29.2009

There has to be an easier way ...

Well crud. It happened.

The people at work found out I'm "good with computers."

Now my duties include everything from teaching people the intricacies Photoshop to showing them how to make bold font in Excel. And occasionally troubleshooting a printer or twelve.

Today I had to deal with a locked Excel spreadsheet. I really don't understand why people password protect these things. It just makes life harder for everyone that has to use them. My goal seemed simple: make the 11 x 17 spreadsheet fit an 8 1/2 x 11 page, while remaining legible. Should be too hard, right?

Wrong.

Unfortunately, sooomebody password protected the spreadsheet. My first troubleshooting step was to see if I could just unlock it from within Excel.

Nope.

The great Google God said I could download a program that would crack it for me. I decided against that method right off the bat, since it would probably give my work computer the ebola virus, and I really don't want to have to explain that to our IT peepz.

Instead I emailed myself the spreadsheet. Sent it from work email to Gmail. Then I opened it up in Google Documents and BEHOLD! The spreadsheet was unlocked. So I saved it as an .xls file and opened it back up in Excel.

Joy!

1 comment:

Darius Kazemi said...

If you ever have Excel problems, I highly recommend the MrExcel forums.

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/index.php